JDA Meeting Minutes
April 19, 2017 6:30 AM
Location: Big Screen
MEETING OPENING: President Whittney Lipp called the meeting to order at 6:33 AM.
Board members Present: Ryan Olson, Whittney Lipp, Nathan Wolf, Harry Hagel and Eric Froehling, Cody Cooper
Board members Absent: Jocelyn Ruff
Others Present: Duke Rosendahl
Motion to approve the March 15, 2016 minutes by Eric Froeling. Second by Ryan Olson. Unanimously approved.
Treasurer’s report was reviewed and discussed. Motion to approve the treasurer’s report by Cody Cooper. Second by Eric Froehling. Unanimously approved.
There being no immediate action items the following projects were discussed.
- Sidewalk and Storefront Programs – Reviewed programs from several cities in North Dakota. More information will be forthcoming.
- Park board – Discussed the upcoming public meeting concerning the swimming pool. Some of the members will be going to the meeting.
- Dept of Commerce – Announced that representatives of the ND Dept of Commerce will be in Wishek to discuss various subject matter including current Wishek projects and state programs.
- Grants – Information about a grant from the Lowes Charitable and Educational Foundation was sent to Shawn Kuntz at Wishek high school.
- Housing – Discussed incentives for low to moderate income first time home buyers derived from ND Housing and Finance. The incentives will be added to what JDA already uses for incentives and advertise through social media.
- Web and Facebook – Updates to the business section and events page continue to be made.
- Renaissance Zone -- Renaissance Zone Legislation. Reports received by Duke indicate that this week the conference committee on Senate Bill 2166 reached an agreement. This agreement removed the restrictions on Renaissance Zone and Tax Increment Financing overlap and added an interim study of these issues. SB 2166 also provides clarity to Commerce concerning the definition of “community support” in approving Renaissance Zones in that statute will now specific it includes at least letters of support from the county and school district impacted by the zone. SB 2166
- Windfarm – A special meeting with one of the windfarm developers in the area will be held next week. The meeting is extended to invited guests only.
- Veterinary – Advertisements have been placed in the ND Veterinary Association newsletters. Other advertisement will go out to South Dakota and later to Minnesota.
- Excavating Business – The applicant has decided to wait another year before presenting an application.
- Wishek Steel Bldg – Discussed interest from various parties in purchasing the south building and also the rumor of it already being sold.
- Potential New Business – Assisted Miracle Ear in finding a location for their storefront in Wishek. They will be opening in May. There is a possibility the company will seek a JDA grant for help with purchasing their signage.
Motion to adjourn by Eric Froehling. Seconded by Nation Wolf. Motion Carried.
Adjourn 7:50 AM
Duke Rosendahl / Recorder